Hmm.. Well, I guess I should go eat some crow after last weekend’s games. 4 AP-top-10 teams lost, 3 from my rankings lost including our then-newly-crowned #1 team in the nation, Clemson!? Maybe it was the College Football Gods coming down on me for daring to place anyone ahead of the Crimson Tide of Alabama, or maybe the Tigers just completely overlooked the mighty Syracuse Orange, either way, Clemson has a loss and is surely not going to be the #1 team in this week’s rankings. We now have some serious chaos in college football which is always a good/fun thing!
Rankings # (Last Weeks #): (1) = First place vote from yours truly
1. (2) Alabama (7-0) (1) – Sorry Alabama for putting Clemson ahead of you last week. Please go easy on my Vols this weekend, pretty please?!
2. (3) Penn State (6-0) – Took care of the BYE week alright, feels like a hollow #2 team in the nation if you ask me, biggest win this year was at Iowa. However White Out conditions are expected in State College as the Nittany Lions face the meat of their schedule starting this week with Michigan.
3. (4) Georgia (7-0) – Managed to have no issues with Missouri last week and continue to roll and look quite dominant in the process. Without a doubt the SEC East’s top contender.
4. (5) TCU (6-0) – Survived a trip to Manhattan, Kansas beating KSU 26-6 and have a favorable schedule before they have to play Texas Nov 4th, and then travel to Norman to play the Sooners Nov 11th. Don’t forget these Horned Frogs!
5. (7) Oklahoma (5-1) – Speaking of survival, the Sooners also withstood the surging Longhorns in Dallas on Saturday, QB Baker Mayfield is a pure magician, he probably avoided 5-8 sacks with his maneuverability in the pocket. Nice bounce back win after the Iowa State loss, and currently my top 1-loss team in the nation.
6. (1) Clemson (6-1) – What a loss. They never even led at Syracuse on Friday Night! With QB Kelly Bryant dealing with a concussion folks in Death Valley are sweating. Good thing they have a BYE week this week.
7. (8) Ohio State (6-1) – The Buckeyes are creeping up our rankings here, they are beating teams they should beat impressively by impressive scores. That’s all great, similar to Penn State though – meat of the schedule awaits. #2 Penn State visits the Horseshoe next weekend for a pivotal game in the BigTen.
8. (NR) USC (6-1) – Coming back from a 21-7 hole to then withstand Utah’s final minute 2-point conversion try which would have taken the lead is impressive. The guts and perseverance showed by USC was great, and they’ll need some of that as they travel to South Bend to take on the AP #13 Notre Dame. Huge game that will make or break either team’s CFB Playoff hopes.
9. (9) Wisconsin (6-0) – The Badgers have a 2-game lead in the BigTen West division with 6-games remaining. Not an overly impressive win against Purdue 17-9 at home, and this group won’t really be challenged until Iowa Nov. 11th, and Michigan Nov. 18th .
10. (NR) Miami (5-0) – Another final drive escape for the Canes this time at home and this time of the field goal variety as they extinguished perennial Coastal Division champs the Yellow Jackets of Georgia Tech. Big game vs Syracuse this weekend, how does Miami keep focused after back-to-back emotional victories?
Checking ID’s: Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma State
Kicked out (for now): Auburn, Washington State